Autumn’s harvest is full of deep colors, rich and comforting flavors and an abundance of produce. Warm up your heart and home with the irresistible aromas of pumpkin, sweet potatoes and barley with these two comfort food recipes that will warm you inside and out.
Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ cups diced yellow onion
6 strips of bacon chopped
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 ½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup pumpkin puree
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
In a deep nonstick skillet, add the oil. Heat over medium high heat and add the onions and bacon. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the onions are tender and the bacon is just starting to crisp. Do not overcook the bacon to where it’s completely crispy. Add the rice and a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook the rice for about 25 minutes or until tender. Stir in the pumpkin puree during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Stir in the cheese, reserving a couple of tablespoons for garnish. Turn up the heat to medium-high and continue cooking, uncovered, or until most of the liquid is absorbed, but the mixture is still creamy. Serve the pumpkin risotto immediately, garnished with fresh parsley and additional parmesan cheese.
Sweet Potato and Celery Soup
A slow cooker sweet potato and celery soup with barley is the perfect meal for an autumn weeknight
Prep time 20 minutes Cook Time 4 hours
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups diced Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 avocado peeled and cored
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots 2
- 2 tsp fresh chopped parsley
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer the veggies to the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and barley to your slow cooker. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve the sweet potato and celery soup garnished with avocado, carrots and parsley. Enjoy with fresh bread!